Pip and oap

Day to day discussion forum

Moderator: Founders

Forum rules
This Forum and Sub-forums are open to public view.

Please do not use offensive language (No Swearing).

For more info please see the rules page
jeff3

Pip and oap

Post by jeff3 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:37 am

Hundreds of thousands of pensioners will no longer have to undergo reviews to carry on getting their disability benefits, Amber Rudd, the work and pensions secretary, will say on Tuesday.

Rudd is to announce the overhaul of personal independence payments (Pip) for older people, after years of complaints about the system, which requires many claimants to repeatedly prove their entitlement to benefits.

The decision means around 270,000 pensioners who are in receipt of personal independence payments will carry on getting them without having to be reassessed in future.

Rudd will make the announcement in her first speech on disability benefits since being appointed.

A source in the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) said she wanted to take the government’s welfare policy in a more compassionate direction. Last month, she conceded the rollout of universal credit had contributed to an increase in food bank use, going back on previous ministerial denials.

Rudd, who is considered a potential Tory leadership contender, will use the speech to reflect on her own family’s experience of disabilities.

“My father became blind in 1981. For thirty-six years his blindness was a normal part of my family’s life. Of my life,” she will say.

“I reflected on my father’s lack of sight, and how it affected his life and the lives of those who loved him, as I considered my role in supporting disabled people in Britain.

“Disabled pensioners have paid into our system for their whole lives and deserve the full support of the state when they need it most.

“This government therefore intends to change the landscape for disabled people in Britain: to level the terrain and smooth their path.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -says-rudd
Rating: 20%

jeff3

Re: Pip and oap

Post by jeff3 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:39 am

Yet like may she can and will mean another thing so believe it hmmm ;-(