DPAC protest shuts down Westminster Bridge

28 Days in the News

Moderator: Founders

Forum rules
When adding items from the News media please link to the article rather than post the article here.

If you must post an article please add a link to the original item.

This Forum Auto Deletes Topics After 28 Days

DPAC protest shuts down Westminster Bridge

Postby Tobias » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:20 pm

Scores of disabled protesters shutdown Westminster Bridge with chilling banners showing all those 'killed by cuts'

Demonstrators completely stopped traffic near the Houses of Parliament, in tribute to those said to have died due to welfare reforms

The group claim cuts to disability benefits since 2010 have become so severe the UK is now being investigated by the UN for violation the rights of disabled people.

Metropolitan Police have been called to the scene and there is currently a stand off between police and protestors.
Read More & Watch the Video
Tobias
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DPAC protest shuts down Westminster Bridge

Postby jeff3 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:02 pm

paula writes
I had a very bizarre experience yesterday, the second one in six months. I was at a local supermarket on my scooter picking up some bits and pieces. I had my dpac hooded top on which has logo on front. Its one of the few warm tops I have and was feeling the cold yesterday and just grabbed it and put it on.

Minding my own business i get a tap on the shoulder and must admit made me jump and made me anxious. I tried to turn around but could not. Man comes to the side of me.

He said, I notice your top.
Said what about it?
he said the logo.
i saw the report on BBCi about disabled people against cuts blocking westminster bridge last night and saw pictures on social media
Are you part of that group that blocked westminster bridge yesterday?
Thought shit am in the middle of a supermarket surrounded by people i need to get the hell out of here I really do not need any shit or recriminations.

He asked again a little louder and I thought i really don't want a scene in a shop.

I said Yes I was and if you are going to give me abuse, forget it, am not in mood am not feeling great

Then he did a surprising thing. He broke down in tears and hugged me.

I thought why is he crying?

He said thank you for the action you and everyone did yesterday. I saw the pictures on social media and the BBC i report and recognised you from one of the pictures. then he told me a heartbreaking story.
My daughter was found fit for work a year ago through the WCA she was schizophrenic the stress was too much and she took her own life over it. i just know if she was here today she would have thanked you herself for the action everyone did yesterday.

Thank you for speaking out and for hitting these buggers back.

He got hold of a member of staff and told them what happened on westminster bridge.

he shouted out to anyone who could hear him what disabled people are going through and how the cuts are impacting on them and the road block of westminster bridge.

People stopped to listen to him, and the next thing we had people coming up to us and shouting out well done and good for you. Poor man broke down in tears and then so did I

I am sobbing on the man's shoulder and he is sobbing on mine and we cried together for what we both lost.

Next thing I know he ran out of the shop I never got his name. I wish I had.

The tide is turning.......bit by bit by bit.....but still a long way to go though.

the second story in as many months of people aware of actions that disabled people are doing to resist this government.
jeff3
Progress to next rank:
1.3%

Re: DPAC protest shuts down Westminster Bridge

Postby jeff3 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:05 pm

hmm you don't live in London then get active on line posting but you should now your mp office is giving em jip councilours you name it they fair game has you need to start asking them whot are they doing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeff3
Progress to next rank:
1.3%

Return to In The News